Recipe by April Carter
For the doughnuts (or use shop bought mini doughnuts):
- 150ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 30g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180g self-raising flour
- 75g caster sugar
For the decoration:
- 200g icing sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons water
- pink food colouring
- small amount of pink, light pink and white fondant
- black edible paint
METHOD (Makes 24)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 and grease a mini doughnut pan.
- Beat the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract until well combined. Sift in the flour and sugar and stir to combine. Spoon half of the mixture into the mini doughnut pan until each hole is half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Remove the doughnuts from the tin and allow them to cool on a wire rack. Wash and grease the pan and bake the remaining mixture.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar, water and a few drops of pink food colouring in a bowl. Dip one side of each doughnut into the glaze and shake off the excess.
- Make Flamingo’s head and neck, wings and tail using the pink fondant. Make the beaks using a paler pink. Make the eyes using circles of white fondant and attach them to each head.
- Attach all of the pieces to the mini doughnut bodies using some extra icing and set aside to dry. Paint on black dots to finish the eyes and paint the end of the beaks black using the edible paint.